atolla 11-Port USB 3.0 Data Hub review
REVIEW – I am one of those computer users that needs a ridiculous number of USB ports to accommodate the plethora of USB devices that I keep attached to my system and ready to use. Since I use so many devices, I also need powered USB hubs, and if there is the ability to power manage each port that is the icing on the cake. The atolla 11-Port USB 3.0 Data Hub looks like exactly what I need. Let’s see!!
What is it?
This atolla USB 3.0 hub allows you to expand 1 USB 3.0 port to 7 external USB 3.0 data ports and 4 USB 3.0 smart-charging ports. It is capable of syncing data at speeds up to 5Gbps. It has illuminated individual on/off switches to control each USB port. It is compatible with Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP, Mac OS X (10.x or above), and Linux, and fully plug and play with no drivers required. Hot swapping is supported.
What’s in the box
1 x atolla 11-port USB 3.0 hub (100cm USB cable length)
1 x 12V/4A Power Adapter
1 x Quick Setup Guide
Design and features
- Instant expansion and SuperSpeed Syncing -This atolla USB 3.0 hub can instantly expand 1 USB 3.0 port to 7 external USB 3.0 data ports for keyboard, mouse, printer, hard drives, and more USB devices, syncing data at blazing speeds up to 5Gbps in no time.
- Smart charging -There are also 4 USB 3.0 smart charging ports help to charge your mobile phones, tablets, cameras, and other devices; connecting the 12V/4A power adapter can provide charging power up to 2.4A.
- Simple Switch to Control – Equipped with illuminated individual on-off switches to control each USB port, atolla USB 3.0 hub saves the trouble of unplugging devices whenever you don’t need it.
- Maximum Compatibility and Performance -This 11-Port multi-extension port USB hub 3.0 compatible with Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP, Mac OS X (10.x or above), Linux. Fully plug and play, no drivers required and supports hot swapping
The atolla 11-Port USB 3.0 Data Hub has 7 regular USB 3.0 ports and 4 dedicated charging ports. 10 of the ports are on the top long surface of the hub. Each port has a dedicated on/off button and has colored LEDs around each port to indicate their on/off status. The standard ports have blue LEDs and the charging ports have red LEDs.
On one of the short edges of the hub, there is the 11th port which is also a charging port.
On the opposite short edge, there is the DC power port and the built-in USB cable.
This hub is easy to use right out of the box. if you plug it into a USB port on your PC, the ports light up, and depending on the power need of your devices, it will actually work for non-charging devices without the AC power adapter attached. Once the AC power adapter is plugged in, the dedicated charging ports can be used for charging/powering USB devices.
The photo below shows the hub with the AC power adapter plugged in.
The following photo shows the hub with devices plugged in. And no, you are not seeing doubles. I have 2 hubs that are identical but have the branding of 2 different companies.
I took the next picture to show the different brand names on each hub.
What I like
- The number of ports
- The dedicated charging ports
- The individual on/off switches
What I’d change
- Make the currently permanent USB cable removable
This 11-Port USB 3.0 Data Hub is very convenient and very helpful, and so far has worked without any issues. I have been able to use it with 10 devices attached and it handles them perfectly. I like the individual on/of switches and since I am a fan of LEDs lighting, the look works for me. What I find very interesting is that I have an identical hub with a different brand name. I think that these are mass-produced by some manufacturer and sold to other companies with their requested branding. Regardless, they work well and definitely work for me. Hopefully, they withstand the test of time.